AddressWarszawa Oleandrów 6 View map
The Political Transformation Workshop: Western Balkans & Turkey is a weeklong course devoted to exploring the current transformational processes in the Western Balkans region and Turkey from the European Union perspective. The School is designed to assess the current state of affairs, successes and failures of both the policies of Turkey and Western Balkan states, and the EU’s regional leadership and relationship with each country. The program will also examine the common post-war mediation and reconciliation process of the previous decade in the Balkan region.
The added value of the course is the communication block, which aims to deliver up-to-date and practical knowledge on public speaking, social media and mediation processes. This type of skills development equips participants with the know-how necessary to influence the political and social environment they are embedded in. Moreover it gives insight and knowledge needed to make informed decisions and judgments.
The Political Transformation Workshop: Western Balkans & Turkey is devoted to improving the understanding of the political transformational processes in the Western Balkans and Turkey through development of expert level knowledge and communication skills. It derives its content from examples of the Western Balkan countries and Turkey. Participants, who will work with expert level trainers and practitioners, will have the unique opportunity to combine theory and practice. Upon completion of the program, students will be able to knowingly discuss transformation and reconciliation challenges in the Western Balkans, EU accession, and Turkey’s growing role in the wider region. The communication skills portion of the program will give participants confidence and their natural abilities to play a leadership role.
The Political Transformation Workshop is designed for political and social leaders, public servants, non-governmental representatives, graduate and post-graduate students wishing to specialize in Turkey or the Western Balkan region, conflict resolution or the EU accession process. Participants of the European Academy of Diplomacy have a commitment to open dialogue, democratic values, and appreciate the opportunity to network and meet with other like-minded professionals. It is open for participants from Turkey, Balkans, and EU countries as well as others interested in the topic. The thorough application process and limited number of students guaranties the highest quality of discussions and participation in the program with high-potential, future leaders.
Our participants are:
- Emerging political and social leaders willing to share transition experience in their country
- Internationally minded persons wanting to gain knowledge on reconciliation processes
- Students willing to explore political, societal and economic issues of Turkey and Balkan countries
- Professionals eager to acquire the communication training and skills to take on the world’s most demanding issues
- 48 hours of lecturers, seminars, workshops, study visits and simulations.
- Small number of accepted participants (26) ensuring maximum contact with trainers and experts
- Unique combination of practice and theory, allowing participants to both participate in traditional lectures and engage in the learning process.
- Meetings with EU officials, field practitioners and diplomats.
- International faculty of renown experts and scholars
- Diverse and Multicultural participants, which establishes a forum for exchanging experiences and enhancing cooperation.
The Political Transformation Workshop: Western Balkans & Turkey will cover the following topics:
- Analysis of EU policy towards Turkey and Western Balkans (Lecture, Q&A)
- Managing a divided nation in Cyprus (Case Study Discussion)
- Europization and free-market reforms in Turkey (Case Study Discussion)
- Post-War Recovery and Reconciliation in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Case Study Discussion)
- Building statehood in Kosovo (Case Study Discussion)
- Croatian and Serbian path to EU (Case Study Discussion)
- Mediation and Reconciliation (Lecture & Simulation)
- Social Media for Public Diplomacy (Lecture & Workshop)
- Leadership & Team Building (Workshop & Simulation)
- Public Speaking (Workshop)
Unless otherwise specifically stated, the PTW will be held in the conference rooms of the European Academy of Diplomacy located in Warsaw, Poland:
European Academy of Diplomacy
Ul. Oleandrow 6
00-629 Warsaw PL
Dates & Applications
The next edition of The Political Transformation Workshop will be held on in 2015. Dates will be announced in October 2014.
335 EUR (without accommodation) or 535 EUR (with accommodation).
The registration fee includes 5 days of the courses, materials, coffee breaks, lunches, social events and diploma. All participants are expected to arrange their own travel.
A select number of scholarship will be awarded to participants from Albania, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey.
To apply for a scholarship, submit CV to the apply link above.